1 in 3 girls & 1 in 6 boys are sexually abused before the age of 16
Over 65% of alleged offenders are family members.
SEXUAL ABUSE STATISTICS:
• Every 6 minutes a child in the United States is sexually assaulted.
• 97 out of 100 rapists receive no punishment for sex crimes committed against adults and children.
• 1 in 5 children receive a sexual solicitation while on the internet.
• More than 80% of sexual abuse cases occur in 1 adult/child situations.
• There are approximately 39 million survivors of childhood sexual abuse in the United States.
• Like rape, child molestation is one of the most under reported crimes.
Between 2016-2018, 1,279 middle & high school students participated in the program.
50% admitted they’ve posted or shared something online or via text message and later regretted it.
58% admitted they communicate with adults they do not know through social media or text.
11% admitted they accept friend/follower requests from people they do not know in real life while 22% said they were neutral in reference to that statement.
59% reported they felt it was safer for teenagers to date people online rather than in real life.
After completion of the program, over 96% indicated they now know where to go to get help if they are ever sexually abused or bullied online; over 90% had an increase in knowledge regarding the laws for cyberbullying, sexting and child pornography.